Managers should inform their employees about any changes in global and local laws which can affect their employment in an organisation. The need for continuous knowledge about human rights at a working environment makes the use of laws even more important in order to regulate the overall operations of an organisation.
The aim of this article is to present the important right about healthy and safe at work. It presents how the health and safety Act is implementing in real life situations in the education sector and explains regulations and strategic decisions made by leaders and managers.
The establishment of the Lisbon Treaty in the European Union provides new legislative powers to the European Parliament which it equal to the Council of Ministers on deciding about EU actions and expenditure, which can affect the European business operations regarding how to behave and implement managerial decisions.
Keywords: Health and Safety, Employment Law, European Union, Human Resource Management.
Author: Eleftherios M. Colocassides
- Hage, J. and Akkermans, B. (2014). ‘Introduction to Law’. Switzerland: Springer
- Huczynski, A. & Buchanan, D. (2007). ‘Organizational Behavior’, Essex: Pearson Education
- Lockett, J. (1992). ‘Effective performance management: a strategic guide to getting the best from people’, London: Kogan
- Northouse, P. G. (2013). ‘Leadership: Theory and practice’. Thousand Oaks: SAGE Publications
- Riches, S. and Allen, V. (2009). ‘Business Law’. 9th Ed. London: Pearson
- Saunders, M., Thornhill, A., & Lewis, P. (2009). ‘Research Methods for business students’, Essex: Pearson Education
- Schuttler, R. (2010). ‘Laws of communication: The intersection where leadership meetsemployee performance’. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Wheelen, T.L. and Hunger, J.D. (2012). ‘Strategic Management and Business Policy: Towards Global Sustainability’.13th Ed. NJ: Pearson
- Zeugarides, S., & Stamatiades, G. (1997). ‘Administration and supervision of staff’, Athens: Hellen Editions
- Supporting Websites:http://www.cyprus.gov.cy/portal/portal.nsf/gwp.getGroup?OpenForm&access=0&SectionId=government&CategoryId=Legislations&SelectionId=Laws%20regarding%20health%20and%20safety%20at%20work&print=0&lang=en (accessed 17th March 2021).http://www.mlsi.gov.cy/mlsi/dli/dliup.nsf/All/7E426D0015481B0BC2257DDD0028FB9B?OpenDocument (accessed 15th March 2021).
http://www.mlsi.gov.cy/mlsi/dli/dliup.nsf/All/AC35667754160356C2257E28001E941F?OpenDocument (accessed 18th March 2021).